Pregnancy and oral health are two things that go hand in hand when you are expecting a baby. We encourage all of our patients to take good care of their dental hygiene and oral health when they become pregnant.
Most women know how vital it is that they take good care of their physical health, but often don’t consider the impact oral health has on their overall health. A surge in hormones can exasperate the way a pregnant woman’s gums react to plaque. As a result, there is an increased risk of tooth decay, loose teeth, and gum disease if proper oral hygiene isn’t maintained.
The following steps are important to follow while you are pregnant:
1. Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each session
2. Floss your teeth regularly, preferably once a day
3. Visit us for a check-up and cleaning
4. Inform your doctor that you are pregnant and avoid getting x-rays
5. Avoid eating sugary snacks as it increases the risk of tooth decay
By following these steps, pregnant women have a better chance at maintaining their good oral health during pregnancy. Contact team here at Southern Cross Dental in Colorado Springs, CO to discuss pregnancy and oral health in more detail.