Extractions are needed for multiple reasons: to avoid getting a root canal, to remove wisdom teeth that are pushing against other teeth, or to remove an impacted and infected tooth. Here at Southern Cross Dental, we provide extractions for patients that need to get a tooth removed. It is not a difficult process and is done under anesthesia, so no pain is experienced. We do ask that patients have a ride home following the anesthesia, as it is not safe for them to drive.
After the extractions are completed by our team at Southern Cross Dental, it is important that patients follow these tips:
1. Only eat soft foods for the first few days following the surgery, such as yogurt, pudding and mashed potatoes.
2. Don’t use a straw when drinking liquids.
3. Avoid chewing on the side of the mouth where the tooth was extracted.
4. Avoid smoking cigarettes, as the sucking motion can pull the blood clot.
5. Call our office if excessive pain or bleeding is experienced.
You may notice some minor bleeding at the extraction site, which is temporary. An ice pack works wonders for any lingering pain.
If you want to find out more about getting extractions done in our Colorado Springs, CO office, visit us online at www.southercrossfamilydentistry.com or call us today at (719) 471-1717.