Endodontics is the dental specialty that deals with the nerves of the teeth, and root canal therapy is the most common procedure within endodontics. Dr. Navid Rahimpour and Dr. Faranak Rahimpour offer root canal therapy to patients with a deep infection in the nerves of their teeth, as an alternative to tooth extraction. During a root canal, the nerves of the teeth are removed, as well as any other infected tissue. Here is a breakdown of the procedure:
1. The patient receives local anesthesia so they don’t experience any pain.
2. We drill a small hole into the tooth to reach the canal.
3. Infected tissue and nerves are removed using a special tool.
4. Once the infection is gone, the hole is filled with gutta percha.
5. The patient returns to our office in two weeks to be fitted with a crown.
It is important that patients not skip the process of getting a crown, because without nerves, the tooth becomes dead. This makes it susceptible to breaking off, and requiring a bridge or dental implant to replace it. Visit Southern Cross Dental in Colorado Springs, CO to schedule your root canal therapy appointment.